BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription drug that, when injected, temporarily paralyzes muscles. It contains a purified and safe form of botulinum toxin A, which is produced by the microbe that causes botulism. Manufactured by Allergan, Inc., it is used to treat permanent furrows and deep wrinkles in the skin that are formed by the continual contraction of facial muscles. In addition to its cosmetic applications, it is used to treat a number of medical problems, including excessive sweating, overactive bladder, neck spasms, crossed eyes, chronic back and jaw pain, and migraines.
Applications for BOTOX Cosmetic
Although originally approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of eye and muscle spasms, BOTOX Cosmetic was quickly recognized for its cosmetic value. Properly placed injections of BOTOX Cosmetic block nerve impulses sent to muscles, weakening them to the point where they cannot contract, and temporarily eliminating moderately severe furrows and lines. BOTOX Cosmetic is used to treat the following:
- Forehead dynamic wrinkles
- Between the brows (11’s)
- Frown lines
- Crow’s feet
- Skin bands on the neck
- Above lip lines
- Brow lift
According to Allergan, BOTOX Cosmetic has been “extensively researched, with approximately 2500 studies.”
BOTOX Cosmetic Procedure and Results
- The first and only treatment FDA approved to temporarily make moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet, and forehead lines look better in adults.
- Treatment requires minimal downtime. You can return to your daily routine immediately after you leave your specialist’s office.
- You may begin to notice results within 24 to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines.
- It delivers predictable, subtle results, so you look like you, only with less noticeable facial lines.
Using a very fine needle, BOTOX Cosmetic is injected directly into facial muscles that are causing furrows and lines. Receiving the injections requires no anesthetic, but some doctors choose to numb the area to be injected with ice packs or a topical anesthetic cream. Results can usually be seen within a few days of treatment, and typically last up to four months, although areas that are treated on a regular basis may retain results longer. Injections should be given only by qualified medical professionals.
HOW BOTOX® COSMETIC WORKS
A combination of factors can cause facial lines. It’s not just about the cellular changes that may occur, or reduction of collagen, or damage caused by free radicals from the sun and the environment.
Repeated muscle contractions from frowning, squinting, or raising eyebrows cause skin to furrow and fold, gradually resulting in the formation of facial lines. BOTOX® Cosmetic works beneath the surface and temporarily reduces the underlying muscle activity that causes moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines in adults – to help them look better.
© 2021 AbbVie. All rights reserved. BOTOX® and its design are registered trademarks of Allergan, Inc., an AbbVie company. BCT69166-v19 07/22
Side Effects of BOTOX Cosmetic
Injection-site side effects of BOTOX Cosmetic are usually mild and temporary, and include the following:
Normal activities may be resumed immediately after receiving injections.
- National Institutes of Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- U.S. National Library of Medicine
- © 2021 AbbVie. All rights reserved. BOTOX® and its design are registered trademarks of Allergan, Inc., an AbbVie company. BCT69166-v19 07/22
3 Reasons Why Patients Love Cherry
- Cherry qualifies patients for up to $10,000
- There is no hard credit check
- Cherry offers zero percent financing options*
*0% promo APR is subject to approval. Regular APR 9.99% – 35.99%. Down payment may be required.